Saturday, March 21, 2009

Brasserie D'Achouffee La Chouffe * * * * *

Yes sorry the glass is empty because I drank this last night during the Series Finale of Battlestar Gallatica. Amie might be embarrassed to be a BSG fan since it is a major Sci Fi show, but I love the show and I am very sad to see it end. Amie and I had some friends over to celebrate. The beer was gold in color and had a very big head.

This is a very good beer I have had this in the fridge for awhile salivating and waiting to drink it. It is not a solid 5 but it stands at that now. Beer Advocate gives it a A- so that made me feel more comfortable with my 5 rating. I have drank the beer before and was really surprised. I first had this wonderful beer at Growlers Pub in Sunset Hills with Amie probably early 2008. I got it thinking it would be a small bottle and not noticing the size. I almost always enjoy Belgian beers and this is a good example of one.

I went to La Chouffe's website http://www.achouffe.be/en curious what their glass's or mugs looked like since it says drink it from a "wide mouthed La Chouffe glass." I thought the red nosed gnome was kind of creepy but after visiting their site I think they are just trying to have him be a fun playful character.

Per the back of the Bottle.
"La Chouffee is brewed by the Atisans of the 21st Centuray at la brasserie d'Achouffe deep in the heart of Belgium's Ardennes mountains. The legend of gnomes (chouffes) who once brewed in this mysterious region provides the inspiration for this eccentric bottle conditioned, double fermented ale."

"This Belguim micro brewery crafts La Chouffe with local Ardennes' spring water top fermenting yeast, Pilsner malts and English Golding & Saaz hop and coriander for spice. Double fermentation produces naturual carbonation and a small yest deposti (lees) on the bottom of the bottle."

"Enjoy the golden color, dense white head and sweet-spicy flavor of La Chouffe. Server cool between 50 & 55 F and pour carefully into a wide mouthed La Chouffe glass to enjoy the full flavors and aromas of this ale from Belguims most eccentric brewery."

"Come and visit us at Brasserie D'Achooffee in the Ardennes mountains."

"In 2006 the Choffe gnomes discovered they have baseball-playing family at the Brewery Ommegang farmstead in Cooperstown, NY. Check them out at
http://www.ommegang.com


I am also a fan of the Ommegang Brewery and I am not understanding La Chouffe's goal with this statement on the back of their bottle. Well I did a little research and found out that the brothers who created La Chouffe were bought out by Duvel Moortgat in 2006. Duvel also owns the Ommegang beer line.

From the picture below you can see Brewtus (black and white cat) did not seem to be interested in La Chouffe he was more interested in bothering Calvin.

No comments: